Director : Mohamad Ali Hassan
The Accounting Department includes the Expenditure Budget, Financial System, Core Banking and Client Management Divisions.
They are responsible for:
- Managing the expenditure budget process, from preparation and recording to monitoring and analyzing the budget expenditures of all departments and branches as well as the Banking Control Commission and Special Investigation Unit.
- Reporting periodically on the Central Bank's interim Balance
- Interest Management for interest bearing accounts
- Preparing the bank's annual financial report
- Maintaining the bank's Chart of Account
- Maintaining and developing the bank’s Accounting System.
- Investment Control and Reconciliation of the Central Bank accounts at its foreign correspondent banks
- Managing and monitoring all expenditure accruals
- Planning and executing the year-end closing process with all concerned branches and departments
- Providing ad-hoc management reports on a periodic basis
Director : Najib Choucair
The Banking Department is composed of:
- the Survey Division,
- the Information Division,
- the Central Office for Credit Risk,
- the Central Office for Returned Cheques.
The functions of the Survey Division are :
The Information Division collects information about banks, financial institutions and related entities. The Central Office for Credit Risk provides operating banks and financial institutions upon their request and under strict confidentiality with information on total credit extended to a debtor without specifying the lending sources. The Central Office for Returned Cheques, provides operating banks, under strict confidentiality, with information on returned cheques and/or their issuers.
- to examine credit applications from banks
- to examine banks' applications for the establishment of new branches or merger,
- to supervise the financial situation of banks and their sources and uses of funds,
- and to keep updated information on banks.
Director : Bechara Saadeh
The Branches Department organizes and manages the relationships between BDL Headquarters and its branches and implements BDL policies throughout the country where the branches are located. Currently, there are 9 BDL branches spread over the Lebanese territory in Tripoli, Saida, Tyr, Nabatieh, Bekfaya, Jounieh , Aley, Zahle and Baalbeck.
Director : Mazen Hamdan
The functions of the Cash Operations department are:
1) manage all operations related to the issuance of the national currency, medals and other commemorative coins which include design, safekeeping, supply, withdrawal and shredding ;
2) safekeep gold and other valuable assets
3) manage daily cash related operations;
4) gather data related to counterfeited notes in order to enhance security features;
5) promote national currency
Director : Therese Haddad
1) Organization of the Money Services Businesses Department
The Money Services Businesses Department is organized, as per Decision No. 11943 dated 04/02/2015, into the following two divisions:
Money dealers, Comptoirs, Specialized Credit Institutions and Leasing Companies Division
- Money dealers Section
- Comptoirs, Specialized Credit Institutions and Leasing Companies Section
Institutions Specialized in Electronic Transfers and studies Division
- Institutions Specialized in Electronic Transfers Section
- Studies Section
2) Functions of the Money Services Businesses Department
The Money Services Businesses Department handles and monitors all the files submitted by Money Dealers, Comptoirs, Specialized Credit Institutions, Leasing Companies and Institutions Specialized in Electronic Transfers.
Furthermore, the Money Services Businesses Department undertakes the preparation of several statistical reports concerning the shipment of bank notes and precious metals, cash electronic transfers and other related issues.
Finally, the Money Services Businesses Department assumes the preparation of draft laws and regulatory texts concerning the Department responsibilities.
- Money dealers, Comptoirs, Specialized Credit Institutions and Leasing Companies Division
Director : Youssef El-Khalil
The functions of the Financial Operations Department are
1) to manage domestic debt issues (Treasury bills and bonds), and the securities accepted by the Central Bank in its credit operations;
2) to examine credit applications by the public sector or public institutions;
3) and to evaluate the effects of these operations on the liquidity and monetary situation.
On the other hand, this department reviews and follows up banking facilities granted to the Treasury, and carries out the decisions of BDL Management to purchase or sell Treasury bonds and intervenes in open market operations.
Director : Naaman Naddour
The main functions of the department vary from intervention in the local foreign exchange market, to the handling of foreign central banks, banks and international financial institutions deposits. It is also in charge of the investments abroad and the management of the foreign assets of BDL in the international markets. The department handles the issuance of documentary credits and collaborates with the different public sector institutions related to that service. The department also manages the international transfer of funds related to all clients allowed to open accounts with BDL, i.e. private and public sectors.
Director : Khaled Bohsali
The Foreign Studies Department is mainly involved in the preparation of studies on the relationship of the Banque du Liban with domestic and foreign institutions. It prepares reports, studies and researches and gives opinion on files presented by internal and external units . It also prepares pamphlets on the banking and financial systems in Lebanon. The department is responsible for opening and executing documentary credits, in coordination with the Foreign Exchange and International Operations department.
Director : Majida Abdel Khalek
The Department of General Secretariat is responsible for the files of the BDL Central Council, the Higher Banking Commission, the Consultative Committee and the Disciplinary Board. The main functions of this Department are
1) to handle the correspondence of the Governor;
2) to prepare agendas and minutes of meeting and safe keep all records related to these bodies.
In addition to that the department includes a media, public relations and publications unit. This Department comprises also a Security Division, which is responsible for all security issues at the BDL. The "Central Control Division" is newly established whose main function is to control all the operating alarm systems at Banque du Liban.
Director : Firas Hamdan
Human Resource Department: "The Human Capital of the Organization"
The main function of the Human Resources Department is to assist employees through their life cycle at the bank and even after retirement in order to bring out the best of their potential and thus contribute to the success and stability of the bank. Its functional purpose is to manage the bank's employees affairs, and to oversee the execution of local rules and regulations, primarily the laws of labor, NSSF and the internal employees' book of rules and regulation.
It consists of 6 divisions and one Unit:
- Planning & Performance division develops planning tools and studies to manage human capital and provides the statistical data that contributes to performance improvement and technical progress.
- Attraction & Recruitment division is concerned with attracting human resources to meet the needs of the bank with all the follow ups recruitment procedures and examinations, in addition to preparing exams for employees promotions.
- Employees division is responsible for following up all issues related to employees such as benefits, social security, schooling, time attendance and other day-to-day activities.
- Salaries & Wages division deals with calculating the salaries, wages, and compensation of employees at the bank, in addition to preparing payment vouchers for all contractuals. It also supervises the expenses and budget.
- Internal Audit division has been developed recently with the aim of maintaining information accuracy and reliability, and reducing the possibility of human error.
- End of Service division calculates, follows-up and executes the End of Service Indemnity of employees at the bank along with reconciling accounts with the Social Security Fund and dealing with any activity related directly or indirectly to the End of Service Indemnity of the employees.
- Medical Care unit performs a variety of services related to delivery of medical benefits and issues for the employees and the beneficiaries.
Director : Ali Nahle
The Information Technology Department is responsible for developing and implementing information technology at the Central Bank.
Its role includes :
- automation of the bank's business functions using the most advanced proven technologies;
- applying the best IT standards;
- providing, developing , implementing and managing an IT infrastructure that ensures continued delivery of essential banking and internal business services;
Director : Roula Bassil
The Inspection and Audit Department is responsible for internal audit and inspection procedures at the Banque du Liban and its branches, including records, operations, assets, and accounts. It suggests measures for the improvement of administration. This department is composed of the General Control Division, the Auditing Division, and the Financial Control Division.
Director : Pierre Kanaan
1) Organization of the Legal Affairs Department:The Legal Affairs Department is organized, as per Decision No. 5225 dated 20/8/1993 and its amendments regarding the organization of BDL's departments, into the following three divisions:
In addition, the Legal Affairs Department includes the Secretariat and the Internal Archive units.
- The Studies and Legal Consultation Division.
- The Litigation Division.
- The Central Archive Division.
2) Functions of the Legal Affairs Department:The Legal Affairs Department has numerous and diverse functions that relate to all of the activities and departments of the BDL. The Department handles and examines all the files submitted for compliance review by banking and financial entities. In addition to that, the Department undertakes the preparation of draft laws, regulatory texts, legal consultation, drafting and reviewing sales, purchase, lease, investment, insurance, and mortgage contracts, credit opening agreements, the approval of POAs and other documents relating to fund withdrawal from BDL. The Department also liaises daily with other BDL departments, staff, and third parties requesting legal opinions on various issues.
3) Sections of the Studies and Legal Consultation Division:
- Section of banks
- Section of BDL personnel and internal legal advice
- Section of BDL staff loans
- Section of case documentation
- Section of filing fees
- Section of financial and electronic operations
- Section of financial institutions, financial intermediation Institutions and leasing institutions
- Section of Islamic Finance
- Section of legal and regulatory information base
- Section of Exchange Institutions
- Section of national payment system and Oracle system
- Section of BDL Announcements
- Section of real estate affairs
- Section of regulatory texts
- Section of foreign banks representative offices in Lebanon
- Section of bids
- Section of the public sector
- Section of the Special Investigation Commission affairs
Director : Raja Abou Asli
The Department is composed of two divisions entrusted with the following tasks
The Organization Division:
- Setting a mechanism that regulates the request, modification or cancellation of any new or existing software applications, in coordination with the Information Technology Department and all other departments.
- - Reviewing the software applications requests submitted by any department in order to determine their usefulness within the bank’s comprehensive organizational plan.
- Checking the veracity and accuracy of the information included in the software applications used by BDL departments, and making any relevant modification, when needed.
- Following up on the auditors’ remarks through their financial reports, coordinating with the concerned departments and acting in the best interest of the bank.
- Reviewing, organizing and setting the procedures to be followed by the concerned departments, and making the relevant modifications thereto after having coordinated with these departments.
- Coordinating with the departments for the establishment of a system to manage and contain operational risks.
- Following up on employees’ wages, compensations and loans and preparing the necessary reports.
- Verifying the soundness and transparency of accounting and financial information.
- Following up on the budget of Banque du Liban and supervising its proper implementation.
The Development Division:
- Elaborating a comprehensive development plan for the bank.
- Developing the payment systems along with the resulting operational and regulatory aspects, in terms of proposing supervisory and regulatory procedures.
- Establishing a Management Information System in coordination with all the concerned departments.
- Undertaking research, developing the financial and banking systems, and keeping abreast of the latest developments in this field, in order to propose assessing the viability of their implementation at Banque du Liban.
- Designing new software applications to be developed, accompanied by their procedures guide.
- Developing the bank’s control systems.
- Reviewing all procedures periodically and suggesting relevant improvements.
Director : Makram Bou Nassar
The Payment Systems Department, that replaced the Current Operations Department, is composed of three divisions: operations, oversight, and research and development. The main function of this department is to manage and oversee the National Payment System operated by the BDL which is made of the following components: Real Time Gross Settlement System (BDL-RTGS), Retail Payment System (BDL-CLEAR), and Government Payment System (BDL-GPS), as well as overseeing all other private payment systems in Lebanon, in accordance with the relevant regulations and international principles and standards. The BDL-RTGS is live successfully since July 9, 2012, while the Electronic Retail Payment System (BDL-CLEAR) is running successfully since November 2013. The third component of the National Payment System, BDL-PayGov, is in the final implementation stage. The payment systems department is, therefore, responsible for performing and overseeing all kinds of operations in the National Payment System, notably:
The Payment Systems Department is also responsible for the settlement of securities and other financial instruments that are traded at Beirut Stock Exchange and cleared by MIDCLEAR, the Custodian and Clearing Centre of Financial Instruments for Lebanon and the Middle East- which is also the central depositary for Lebanon.Moreover, the Payment Systems Department at BDL conducts studies on payment systems, and prepares the relevant analytical and statistical reports. The Payment Systems Department also controls and manages all types of BDL customers' accounts, and operates the clearing house at BDL Headquarters, Beirut.
- Clearing and settlement of cheques,
- Cards' transactions (ATMs & POS),
- Direct Debits, and Credit transfers.
Director : Ricardo Skaff
The Real Estate and Financial Assets Department is composed of two divisions:
1) The Real Estate Division manages real estate assets owned by the Banque du Liban,
2) the Financial Assets Division manages the financial portfolio of the Bank and makes proposals to improve portfolio performance.
Director : Walid Halik
The Services Department is composed of :
1) the Supplies Division,
2) the Technical Division,
3) the Correspondence Division,
4) the Maintenance Division.
It supplies offices of the BDL and its branches with furniture and equipment, and handles all maintenance operations.
Director : Chucri Mouannes
The functions of the Statistics and Economic Research Department are:
1) to prepare statistical data on economic and financial activities;
2) to provide information on economic, financial, and monetary conditions; and to prepare monthly and quarterly bulletins, and other reports and publications. In addition, it undertakes research on economic, monetary and financial issues.
The department is composed of the Statistics Division and the Economic Research Division.
Director : Mohamad Jabri
The functions of the Department of Training and Development are:
1) to organize conferences, seminars and training programs on monetary and banking issues, including the various BDL regulations and circulars related to its monetary, financial and banking policies;
2) to organize training courses to improve staff efficiency. In addition, the department is responsible for the preparation of entrance exams to the BDL, and of assessment tests for the purpose of promoting certain employees to specific ranks .
The BDL Library is attached to this department.